The team and its role within CYSTINET-Africa
The Germany I team is based at the Department for Neurology of the university hospital (Klinikum rechts der Isar) of the Technical University Munich (TUM) and works closely together with a team of the Chair for Applied Software engineering of the TUM.
FUNCTIONS OF MIH WITHIN THE CONSORTIUM:
- Network coordination and management together with the African coordinating partner “Tanzania I”
- Internal monitoring and quality assurance/management
- Development of a representative work frame of the network (corporate design, webpage etc.)
- Development of IT software tools for electronic data collection in epidemiological TSCT/NCC studies and development of an interactive TSCT/NCC IT-platform for African countries with respective training of local personnel and students (= Virtual One-Health Centre with integrated research school)
- Neurological and veterinary expert support and training of personnel.
Together with Germany II further objectives are:
- Diagnostic patient evaluation, structure and competence development in the field of TSCT/NCC diagnosis in endemic areas.
- Support in improving treatment strategies for patients with TSCT/NCC in Primary Health Care Facilities as well as at the university level.
- Competence development in large-scale epidemiological and clinical studies, mentoring of PhD and Master students, and linking existing TSCT/NCC research groups and other national stakeholders (e.g. WHO, FAO) with network partners.